After a stressful day at work, I was craving some comfort food upon arriving home. I had been meaning to try Lachesis’ Amazing Alfredo Sauce from the PPK forums for awhile, and tonight this seemed like just what I needed. I slightly altered the recipe to sub in what ingredients I had on hand, but the end result was still a dead ringer for the real thing.
Breaded Tofu Planks
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed
1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tbsp. whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. Massel Better Bouillon Chicken-Style
2 tsp. pepper
1-2 tbsp. oil
1. Slice tofu into 10 even planks.
2. Place dry ingredients in a bowl and mix with a fork until all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Coat each side of the tofu planks with dry mixture.
4. Heat oil in a pan to medium-high heat, and fry planks until crisp and golden brown.
5. Place the finished planks on a plate with a few napkins, to soak up excess oil.
Amazing Alfredo Sauce (adapted from Lachesis @ PPK)
1/2 cup Earth Balance
2 cups almond milk, unsweetened
1 package silken tofu, extra firm
2 tbsp. vegetable broth
2 tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1-2 tsp. sea salt
1-2 tsp. black pepper
pinch of nutmeg
2-3 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch, dissolved in cold almond milk
1. Mix all ingredients except for arrowroot/cornstarch in a food processor or blender until smooth.
2. Heat in a saucepan over medium low heat until hot, stirring often.
3. Whisk in arrowroot/cornstarch mixture and heat until just bubbling.
4. Remove from heat, and serve!
After the alfredo sauce thickened, I threw in about 2 cups of swiss chard that I had chopped up and steamed lightly, then poured this mixture over some angel hair pasta and a few tofu planks. The end result was a filling and soothing meal for this chaotic winter day.